Sunday, February 12, 2006

Olympic Disaster!

After casting on I don't know how many times and giving myself a headace I've given up on knitting two socks on a circular needle! I tried this tutorial and then this one for toe up socks but I couldn't do either so its back to the DPNs. Then last night I also failed with the Jaywalker pattern. I just couldn't get it! It didn't help that my ink was running out on my printer so I had to guess the pattern from what I could see but talk about frustrating. So now I'm not sure what to do. I don't like knitting under pressure (something I should have thought about before signing up I know) and I'm certainly not enjoying these socks so far but after reading the Yarn Harlot's inspirational speech and other knitathelete's progress I feel I shouldn't wimp out at the first hurdle!

I think I need to calm down and start again even if it means that I don't finish by the end of the games as its the taking part that counts - right? And besides, I don't want to let the team down! Oh and here's a link to my blog.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kira said...

Oh dear. My trick with 2 socks on 2 circulars is to cast on one, knit a few rounds, put it on another needle, cast on the second and get to the same point as the first. Put them both on the 2 needles and go from there. I couldn't get how to cast on 2 at the same time at all.

I haven't tried Jaywalker, so can't offer any hints at all.

I hope that you find another knit!

7:16 pm  
Anonymous minxxy said...

stick with it...c'mon, you can do it!!!!

12:11 am  
Anonymous minxxy said...

stick with it...c'mon, you can do it!!!!

12:11 am  
Blogger Maureen said...

Keep trying - it's a great technique. I almost always go toe up, using dpns for the toe, so then I just slip half the stitches on one circ and half on the other. You just need to only use each circ with itself if that makes sense. Knit the front stitches, drop the needle, turn the work, pick up your second circ and knit the back, drop the needle, turn the work, etc. Once you get the hang of it, it's a no-brainer. It's a great way to do 2 socks at the same time and a cool trick too. I had 2 women asking questions and getting a quick lesson when they saw me knitting a pair of socks that way while we were all waiting for a movie to start.
You can do it. Go Scotland!
Here's a great tutorial for toe up techniques http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATtiptoptoes.html

1:17 am  
Blogger Knitting Painter Woman said...

I have a sock goal, too... Perhaps I'll try toe-ups... I am a nervous wreck seeing if DH's socks will have to have poor black toes on his left foot! Keep us posted on Jaywalker. Good luck. Have some ale, or some shortbread.

7:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home